This guide shows how to install the Pipe Range Extender accessory to accurately and quickly measure the surface temperature on pipes.
What you need
- Temperature sensor
- Use any of our temperature sensors
- Pipe Range Extender
- For easy mounting and improved signal strength. It includes a pad for a good thermal connection between the sensor and the pipe surface, and a zip tie for mounting.
- Insert the sensor: Peel the adhesive protection on the back of the temperature sensor and place the sensor in the square opening of the Pipe Range Extender with the temperature symbol facing up. Ensure that the dots are aligned when inserting the sensor and press down firmly for 2-3 seconds.
- Attach the thermal pad: Remove the liner on one side of the thermal pad and place it on top of the sensor to stick.
- Insert zip-tie: Make sure the clip is facing upwards.
- Attach to the pipe: Remove the thermal pad liner before attaching it to the pipe.
- Tighten zip-tie: Tighten for maximum contact between the pipe and the sensor.
When the sensor is installed on a pipe, it will measure the pipe surface temperature. You can calculate the water temperature inside the pipe by estimating the offset between the water and the pipe surface temperature.
The offset will vary depending on the thermal properties of different pipe materials.
Below is an example of an installation that measures the surface temperature on a cold and hot pipe.